January 26, 2013

Just another weekend..

Just another weekend..that pretty much sums it up. We did manage to get out of work yesterday due to a nice little winter storm with .001" of accumulation. There was actually a little more than that, and the roads were surprisingly bad, so I guess I shouldn't be too sarcastic. Finally got to put my Jeep in four-wheel drive and felt like I was in a tank on the drive home.

massive icicles lol
 And despite not having to stay at work yesterday, I did have to go in this morning, bright and early. No Starbucks either, seeing that the small amount of snow/sleet/frozen mess turned the roads into ice skating rinks and it took me all of 45 minutes to get to work.

a lovely mess..this is the very reason why I normally am still asleep on saturday mornings 


my thoughts exactly
I also decided to try out a tortilla/taco soup recipe that Shasta Anne posted back in September of last year. I love to cook..I just rarely actually ever do, so this was kind of a big deal. Don't get me wrong, there were no incredible culinary skills involved, but me actually taking the time to use my stove is pretty much a big deal. Most people that know me would agree that the best thing I make for dinner is a reservation.

the corn was MIA for this picture. it rolled under the seat in my jeep, and i didn't realize
 until everything was cooking that i'd forgotten it. 
It's very simple..

  • 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15 oz) can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15.25 oz) can of sweet corn, drained
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can of petite diced tomatoes
  • 1 (10.75 oz) can of cream of chicken soup
  • 1 (10 oz) can of green enchilada sauce
  • 1 (14 oz) can of chicken broth
  • 1 packet of taco seasoning (i used Old El Paso)
Then, it's basically heat and eat. Dump everything in a large pot and let it cook until warm or to your desired thickness. I let my come to a low boil and then turned it on low for around 20 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips. Next time, I may try throwing in some kidney beans instead of black beans. You could also add chicken or beef, or even a spicy kielbasa to make it a little more hardy. I also thought about adding some rice to give it a little variety, but decided to be lazy. It's delicious though, if I must say so myself! And so freakin' easy!


before i remembered that the corn was missing..it got prettier after adding the corn, but i forgot to take a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs